Sunday 2 March 2014

TRAVEL | Ski Trip - Verbier

Finally back at uni after the loveliest week away with my fam skiing. I'm not sad to be home, but think I know where I'd rather be! My older cousin has moved out there on a ski season and he absolutely loves it.. Maybe something I could do after uni? Verbier is gorgeously authentic with its log chalets and crowded but cosy pubs, not too mention the amazing slopes. Perfect for my little 5 day get away, escaping all the pressure from studying and work.






 I had to get the first ever flight on my own (eek!) starting from Newcastle, to Heathrow and then to Geneva, and it was a trek, but I survived. Got my early morning flight from Newcastle and arrived safely in Terminal 5, which is amazing! I had an hour or so to wait so I took advantage of the shops on offer. Although, it was ony window shopping because I don't think my student loan really stretches to purchases from Louis V and Prada, dahling. A girl can dream though, can't she?! I did purchase the Wolf Of Wall Street book though, written by the man himself, the real Jordan Belfort. I'm reading a few too many books at the moment, including The Hunger Games, Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy and High Heels and a Headtorch, but the Wolf has definitely got me hooked. Love having a good book to sink my teeth into on holiday!

Kurt Geiger at Terminal 5 - amazing shoe display.. makes you want every pair!

Anyway, I made it to Verbier unharmed, and excited about the week ahead, if not a little nervous. Tuesday night is a big night in the little town, so I went to Pub Montfort (where my cousin works) and had a slightly crazy night. Have you ever seen the show, Snow, Sex and Suspicious parents? Well, it was sort of like that, minus the sex and I knew my parents were there. Actually that is the reason I was so drunk, because my dad found a new love in jäger bombs.. Lethal combo. Especially with the altitude, so I'll just keep that as my excuse. So the first day of skiing was a bit uncertain having had little sleep, plus a banging headache! 
I've skiied my whole life, but last year I didn't get to go because of A levels (boo) so I was apprehensive when standing at the top of a mountain thinking I would end up at the bottom in a heap, Bridget Jones style. However it's like driving, once you've learnt, you don't forget, so thank goodness I glided down the first blue with ease. It was a snowy morning, if any of you ski, you will know that white outs are the worst condition to ski in. We ended up being stuck on the mountain, the ski lifts had nearly closed, it was a red run (hard at the best of times) and we literally couldn't see our hands in front of us, let alone the slopes! So after shakily managing to get down, we caught the gondola back home, safe and sound.
The next few days were b.e.a.utiful, and I went off piste for the first time ever.. which ended up like this... under a tree and completely stuck. My skis were lodged into the tree and I couldn't bend round to click off my bindings, but I thought of it as a challenge, as though I was on a survival programme, and managed to click them off using the branch of the tree, where I then wiggled myself to the surface. So dramatic!
I love how instead of my dad helping me, he just stands there and takes tons of photos..
But you have to do the hard skiing in order to get better! And I wanted to challenged myself, as I'm going on the uni ski trip in March and want everyone to think I am glamorous skiing professional.
I loved the town, and would definitely go back tomorrow if I could, but party time is over and uni is getting quite serious now, with assignments and deadlines, so will have to concentrate on that for now (boo).
The reason I love skiing so much is that every day you have a purpose and you have to get up and out of bed to basically exercise all day (I'm not painting the best picture of this am I?). But it makes you properly relax, so in the evening you can really chill out with your family. Don't get me wrong, I looove a sunny, lounging around holiday as much as the next person, but there's something different about skiing. Because of all the exercise you feel exhilarated and exhausted, giving you a sense of achievement. Plus, there's loads of cool, hot boys out there.. Should probably go live there really!

Have you ever been on a skiing holiday? What do you think of it? Or would you like to go one day?


Amy xi

No comments:

Post a Comment