Tuesday 25 March 2014

MUSIC | Gym Playlist

When I've just updated my playlist on my iPhone, the thought of going to the gym and listening to all my new tunes can be quite exciting. Even though there are tv's at every machine in my gym, I find listening to music makes the time go much faster than watching Come Dine With Me. 

Today I started thinking about what my favourites are when getting pumped up.

With my iPhone on shuffle, I started thinking about why I was skipping them or stopping to listen to them. I realised this would probably be a good post for my blog, as I love picking up new music when I read other blogs. 


So, here's my top 10!


1. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Now this might be an unusual one, seeing as its a pretty old song. But I love the heavy metal part of it! I love listening to it on the rowing machine, as it sort of makes you angry and want to row faster and stronger. 

2. Green Light - Beyonce 

I'm sure we can agree that Beyonce is many girls' body inspiration. I mean, who wouldn't want curves like that?! The reason I love this song in the gym, especially on the treadmill because you can strut like the Queen herself, and basically pretend you are her... Makes the time go much more quickly! 
3. Black Dog - Led Zepellin
Okay, this is another unusual one. But I would definitely recommend this for the gym. It is so rock and roll that it just makes you want to dance around crazily to release all your energy and tension. You may be thinking, why have I even come across this "oldtimers" music? 

Well, my mum was a bit of a rocking hippie back in the days (actually, she still is) and keeps her extensive vinyl collection in the kitchen. For her birthday a few years ago, my dad bought her a vinyl player so this kind of music is basically all we listen to in my house! I do love it though. It's so real. These days music is so electronic and constructed with computers, but with bands like Led Zep and Pink Floyd, you can hear the instruments collaborating together to produce their unique sounds. (I'm also a bit obsessed with Pink Floyd - read my review of my favourite song here)


4. Budapest - George Ezra
George Ezra is an up and coming singer, who's new to the list of authentic acoustic singers. His voice is a slight take on Ed Sheeran with its own more original, raspy tone. The uplifting little riffs just make you want to smile, which is sometimes hard to do at the gym! 
5. Fifteen (Oxford Remix) - Goldroom feat Chela
Again this is so uplifting and it just reminds me of summer, which is exactly the right thing to be reminding yourself whilst working out. Summer is looming round the corner. Remember, summer bodies are made in winter, and although its now spring, there's still time!
6. Jabberwocky - Photomaton (Kartell Remix)
I found this funky track on the Majestic Music Youtube channel here. The playlist is so perfect for chilled out songs that can go on in the background, whilst also putting you in such a good mood. Which is, again, never a bad thing to feel happy when in the gym. The beat of this song is especially good at giving you a rhythm on the treadmill or even on the weights.
7.Chvrches - The mother we share (Moonboots Remix)
Again this is from the Majestic playlist on Youtube, which is similar to the previous Jabberwocky song. Chvrches (still find it hard to get my head round the 'u' is a 'v' thing) is a new band thats hit the charts recently and this remix makes such a summery vibe to it. Moon Boots remixes are always a hit in my book.

8.Unnatural Selection - Muse
This one is quite set apart from the rest of my choices. At heart, I do love a bit of Muse,especially their piano symphonies. I love how they have a mixture of rock and classical in every album. They sometimes have this in the space of one song! The mixture of the quiet sections is great for interval training as you can go slow on the quieter sections and then when that electric guitar hits, RUN!


8. Portland - Deezy Daisy (Oxford Remix)
Another Majestic discovery! I don't have much to explain about this.. it speaks for itself, well, sings for itself I guess?

9. Amber Run - Kites (Barn on the Farm)
So, this is different to all the rest in the list. Much slower. You may think that slow, emotional songs are the last thing you want to listen to when you're trying to power through a work out? But I seem to like it. It reminds me of being sad. And when I'm sad I like to run. It always either makes you feel better, or makes you feel like you're escaping whatever is making you feel like that. It gets out the emotion in a more productive way than moping around your bedroom. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. And his voice literally makes me want to jump on him. Plus he's attractive... marry me?
10. KAASI - Heartbeats (original mix)
For the millionth time, this is a funky, summery, vibey tune. So just take a listen and you can decide for yourself...


Click the links and have a lil listen, hopefully some of them tickle your pickle!

Amy xi

What do you think of them? What do you like to listen to in the gym? 

No comments:

Post a Comment