Friday 21 March 2014

TRAVEL | Edinburgh Trip Number Two

As a little treat to myself, I decided to have another trip up in Edinburgh with my best friend who goes to uni up there! I know I've said this before, but the weekends at uni can be so boring as everyone tends to go out during the week instead. So me and my other best friend took a road trip (driving in my trusty lil cream mini, Billy) up to Scotland. 

We arrived about half 9 so there was little time to meet and greet friends before we had to get ready for a night out on the town! I wore my green embellished silky topshop top with black jeans and my river island boots which was perfect as I had a little sparkle but was casual enough to fit in. The dress code is so different to Newcastle. Newc is all glam; heels, tan and fake eyelashes, whereas Edinburgh is much more cool and understated. There are pros and cons to both sides, I think. 
At Cab Vol with Mischa (far right) and Lydia (left)

We went to a club called Cabaret Volataire, which is a slightly alternative scene, with LED lights around the doorways and amazing house music. There was a girl dj and she was literally the coolest person ever. BUT, it was £8 on the door which I was horrifed at!! Anyway it was a great night, topped off with some cheesy chips for the taxi ride home. Apparently they're an Edinburgh speciality (you've got to try the local food, haven't you?!)

On the Saturday, we dragged ourselves out of bed bright and early for a saunter around the city. For lunch we went to the cutest little cafe, called Boddingtons, for amazing sandwiches. There were funny, humorous jokes written by the scribbly, makeshift menu, for example, 'we can guarantee unattended children will be sold as slaves, including dogs'.. Maybe it's a 'you had to be there' kind of thing. But this is what I love about Edinburgh, it's so cosmopolitan yet so down to earth and personal. My friend seemed to know every shop owner. 
My gorge Italian sandwich/panini - chicken, red peppers, mozzarella = delish!
Inside Boddingtons - so cute and personal

We then went to another little cafe for hot chocolate and scones for afternoon tea (yes, this whole trip was centered around eating). And we caught up with another friend who goes to uni there. 



At this point we were severely dying from our hangover and all we wanted to do was get back into bed and have a nap. Which is exactly what we did. And it was a bad idea.. We were supposed to go out again that night but we really weren't up for it after dozing off. So we decided that dinner and a film would do. Going out on a Saturday is so last year.. 

We had dinner in a new Thai restaurant called Caravan, which was absolutely ah-mazing! It was very small, like a pop-up restaurant and they used the space really well. Everyone was sat on benches so we had other people either side of us, which might put some people off, but it actually worked nicely. It let's you peek at other peoples orders so you have help deciding on what to get, as there was so much that I wanted.


Posters on the back wall, very cool

We had deep fried squid and spicy chicken wings to start with. The squid wasn't what we expected, as it looked like it had been flattened, and as I'm not the best lover of seafood I'm not the best judge on the taste, but my friends liked it. However the chicken wings were delish. Perfectly sticky and enough meat on the bone to feel satisfied yet not too full for the main. 

I ordered the Thai green curry, not very adventurous I know, but I just love it. And it was so yummy. I'm not the biggest fan of spicy food (I find the lemon and herb nandos is still too hot) but they let you choose how spicy you want it. There was a little kick in it but just the right amount. I ate every scrap. Altogether it was a very reasonable price and came to £40.50 for three of us, with wine as well! 

We all felt so ridiculously full though, there was no way we were going out afterwards, so we went back home, snuggled up with our food babies and watched Pitch Perfect. 

It was the ultimate girly, food filled weekend, and was so nice to break the routine for a little bit. I will definitely be making another trip up there in the future! 

Amy xi 

Have you ever been to Edinburgh? What did you think of it? Or has this made you want to go?









No comments:

Post a Comment